Certification Project Manager
Mission: The Biodegradable Products Institute (BPI) is a not-for-profit organization with a three-pillar mission to promote the production, use, and appropriate end of life for compostable materials and products. This is accomplished by certifying materials as compostable in large-scale composting facilities, educating on the understanding of composting systems that include certified products, and advocating to expand access for systems that accept and process certified products in the context of zero waste. BPI certifies to the ASTM D6400 and D6868 requirements, with tests performed in a BPI-approved laboratory and results verified by an independent third party. BPI is the largest certification organization for compostable products in North America, and its Certification Mark is recognized by composters and manufacturers across the continent.
Position Type: Full-time, salaried
Location: Virtual (home office), must be located in United States and I-9 eligible
1. Work collaboratively as a member of the Certification Team to execute and improve the BPI certification process, with tasks including, but not limited to:
- Providing high quality customer service and accurate information to prospective and current applicants in a timely manner;
- Responding to email and phone inquiries from current and prospective applicants, explaining the requirements and benefits of the certification program;
- Distilling and communicating complex information to a diverse, international audience;
- Uploading, maintaining, shepherding and tracking projects in Trello and keeping applicants informed as projects move through the process;
- Communicating with BPI’s technical reviewer clearly and concisely via email, Trello, and meetings to answer questions and resolve issues to keep projects moving through the process
- Sending, receiving, and reviewing forms (application, confidential disclosure agreement, license agreement, etc.) for accuracy and completeness, uploading and organizing information in BPI’s files according to protocol, and entering information into a database, while observing strict confidentiality rules;
- Interacting with BPI’s database to enter data (e.g., product lists, contact information), review data for accuracy against information received from members, create customized documents (e.g., certificates, sublicense agreements), and extract data for reports;
- Creating customized BPI Certification Marks using Adobe Illustrator;
- Reviewing certified product and packaging artwork files showing the use of the Certification Mark for compliance with the terms of BPI's license agreement;
- Conducting an annual member check-in with each assigned company;
- Managing certifications from inquiry to completion as quickly as possible;
- Managing sublicenses from inquiry to completion as quickly as possible;
- Following protocol to terminate certificates;
- Pursuing identified trademark violations;
- Supporting accurate invoicing and company and certificate status by conducting research for annual invoicing, aging receivables, and quarterly reconciliations and providing input for monthly team meetings with the business administrator;
- Assisting with training new team members;
- Participating in team and staff meetings multiple times per week.
2. Work closely with the Certification Manager by:
- Participating in weekly video chats to review current projects, address issues that arise, etc.;
- Providing recommendations on systems and technology improvements for the database, searchable catalog, website, etc.;
- Performing additional duties as assigned.
Reports to Certification Manager
Qualifications and Requirements:
The ideal candidate:
- Will have excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a keen eye for detail and strong organizational abilities.
- Must be proactive and able to work independently, but also be a proven collaborator, ideally with some previous customer service experience.
- Must have reliable access to the Internet from a home office and be proficient with Microsoft Office, as well as have the ability to learn new programs quickly, such as Trello.
- Will have an interest in science and the environment, as per BPI’s mission statement.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 10, 2022. When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on BPI's website.