BIODEGRADABLE PRODUCTS INSTITUTE
Position Title: Operations Director
Position Type: Full Time, Salaried
Location: Remote (home office), must be located in the United States & eligible to work
Reports To: Executive Director
Mission: BPI is North America’s leading authority on the value of certified compostable packaging in diverting organic waste to composting. As a science-driven nonprofit, BPI advocates for a shift to the circular economy through its programs on certification, policy and education. Its compostability certification has over 400 member companies and over 15,000 certified items listed in a searchable database.
Overview: In the last few years BPI’s programs have grown significantly, requiring a full-time person to oversee our business operations and implement strategies set by the Executive Director and the Board. The Operations Director will manage day-to-day internal affairs of the organization.
BPI values diversity in background and experience, continuously building a welcoming and inclusive work culture. BPI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate.
1. Manage day-to-day business operations
- Develop the annual budget, producing monthly reports, overseeing reconciliations, reforecasting, etc.
- Guide financial and HR decisions by establishing and monitoring policies and procedures.
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations.
- Ensure financial, tax filing, and HR compliance on a company, state and federal level.
- Lead staff discussions, in-person and virtual, that promote robust and inclusive dialogue, opportunities for input, and clear organizational direction.
2. Oversee the work of program area directors
- Leadership Team: Organize team meetings with BPI staff leadership to coordinate supportive dialogue, promote collaboration, and demonstrate successful implementation of plans.
- Supervise Staff Leadership: Coach and mentor senior staff, maintaining close contact through video calls, chats, email and shared project tracking; ensure priorities are clear and reasonable, with real-time feedback on successes and areas of improvement; approve flex time and PTO requests. Potential direct reports include:
- Marketing Director
- Certification Director
- Legislation/Advocacy Manager
3. Design and implement business strategies, plans and procedures
- Strategic Plan: Implement vision of Executive Director and the Board by developing a system for communicating and tracking strategic plans, for both internal (staff) and external (Board and Members) audiences; ensure BPI is resourced to meet goals outlined in the strategic plan.
- Business growth: Establish and execute plans for expansion of business, including but not limited to:
- New business areas (e.g. new certifications, non-certification business units);
- Long-range financial planning;
- Staffing projections and work plans, prioritizing a positive work culture at BPI.
4. Other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Requirements
- Minimum 10 years of experience in business leadership, with at least 5 of those years in a senior operations capacity (e.g. COO, VP Operations, or equivalent).
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead a team, build morale, support individual growth and success, all while maintaining organizational goals.
- Demonstrated track record of successful financial management.
- Solution Oriented – Capable of proactively recognizing opportunities and implementing effective solutions. Quickly able to adapt to change with a can-do attitude.
- Ethics - Treats everyone with respect; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity; Upholds organizational mission and values.
- Willingness to travel up to 20%.
- Must have reliable access to the internet from a home office, have familiarity with Microsoft programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, SharePoint, etc.), and have the ability to learn new software/programs quickly.
- MA in Business Administration or similar relevant field preferred
- $100,000-120,000, commensurate with experience.
- Benefits: 401k with employer match, paid time off (vacation, sick leave, volunteer days), health/dental/vision insurance, and a monthly health/wellness stipend.
To Apply: Send a resume and work samples (see below) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Skills for this job include business leadership, organization, problem solving, and communication. Please submit written answers to the following questions:
- BPI is high growth mode and needs to balance business growth (financial planning, strategic goals setting/tracking, expansion and formalization of HR, etc.), while working on employee happiness/retention, development of new “product” areas, etc. What would you do in your first month at BPI to both learn the lay of the land and hit the ground running, building trust with your supervisor and direct reports?
- Describe your approach to management. How would you cultivate an individual’s professional growth and personal success while also running an effective and efficient business with big goals? What do you think are the most critical components of each?
- A significant new opportunity or threat presents itself midyear, after goals and priorities have been set. Describe how you would evaluate the new opportunity/threat, including monetary and staff resources, and how you would balance it with existing goals?